The Birds and the Bees from a Lamb's Mouth

Google Image
I'm all set to write my AtoZ challenge. But a conversation I had earlier with my 7 year old son kept on buzzing in my head. So I decided that  I had to write about this before anything else. This is something which makes the adults stutter, but seems so innocent from a babe's mouth.

Coming out of the school library, Sonny saw a humming bird - hovering over the flowers on the bushes. 

"Look Ma, a Green-Breasted Mango Hummingbird," he shouted, excited at the open lab of nature right in front of him. Like a true, dotage mom I looked up in the sky and could not find any mangoes. (Ok my attempt of comedy is going overboard here.)

"How do you know its a Green-Breasted?" I peered at the small bird busy flapping its wings to hover over the flower. "Anyways, don't disturb it for I think it is looking for its food."

"No ma. It's trying to attract a female."

THUD!!! Nah .. not me.The books in my arm. 

I bent down and started picking them one by one. "Now who told you that, Sonny?" I had my Prima Donna voice on.  Has the S Talk Day arrived? He is just  7 oh Lord. No early bird discount here please. 

"Ma!" he was shocked at my question. "Don't you know humming bird flaps there wings faster and increase their speed so that they can attract a female?"

I saw two ladies passing by. I quickly gathered my books and pulled the 'good hand' of my Sonny and yanked him towards my parked car. (Good hand since he has a hairline fracture on his right hand and no I have not done anything however much the doctors and teachers give me 'that' look.) 

"Listen Sonny, you are not supposed to watch such things in the TV?"

"Why? It was in Wilde Kratz. And what is wrong about it? That is the nature's way. They have babies like that."

"Babies?" I squeaked. 

"Yes Ma. Like people get married to have babies, same way." He said in his 'you are such a dud' tone. 

Keeping my hand steady, I drove home, my eyes totally focused on the snaking path ahead. I managed to reach home amidst a lot of info about humming birds and people making baby process. The first thing I did was enroll in the school's Sex education for Parents classes. Unless I know about the humming birds how do I teach him.... till then my son, please please don't go outside in the garden.

Comments

  1. hahaha..you did the right thing by enrolling yourself. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ROFL! You son is very intelligent and observant. And you should thank your lucky stars that he already knows a lot about 'mating' without much effort from you. ;)
    Seriously, it's easier this way I feel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my God Sundari , You used the M would 😝

      Delete
  3. Phew you have started a demons dance in my head. God knows what my 2yrs old son is going to learn even before we parents/teachers can explain it to them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe we should try this out – all is well, all is well!

      Delete
  4. Oh man, you had me in stitches here. :D And my 7-year-old niece knows all about animals having babies too... ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment