I’m Not a Betrayer by Sonam Gupta

Name of the Book: I'm Not A Betrayer
Author: Sonam Gupta
Star Rating: 3 stars
Goodreads: Read the Blurb here.

If Sonam Gupta would not have contacted me to give her my honest opinion, I might not have picked up this book.

A few things that go against this book:
1.       The cover suggests a sensuality which I was not sure of. It did not suggest erotica but rather an underdeveloped cover created for sensationalism.

2.       The word count. Just 19 pages.

Still, I took a long time to read this book for the simple matter, I didn't know how to review it. As a woman or as a reader. Many times, a story connects with you yet there are loopholes that stay a long time with you.

Ms. Gupta’s work is more like a conversation. One of those coffee table convos one has with friends. The topic is something which is very much in vogue – marital rape.  Let’s first decide what is marital rape?

“Marital Rape Law and Legal Definition. Marital rape means any unwanted sexual acts by a spouse or ex-spouse that is committed without the other person's consent. Such illegal sexual activity are done using force, threat of force, intimidation, or when a person is unable to consent.”

In the 19 pages, the silent no of Sonam started playing with my mind. Every time I read such stories, I blame the parents. Forcing a girl child to marry just because they want to do their duties. And as parents, why are we so shy about speaking of sex to our children? When will we realize that it is one of the most vital points of a marriage? A girl who is always told to shy away from sex is asked to sleep with a stranger every night without knowing what sex and love are all about. How can we be such hypocrites?

Every time I read these stories, I want to shout out at our so called society that portrays marriage as an achievement. How can marriage be an achievement? It's a phase of life. One that we should transcend to only if our heart and body want it. I chose my marriage. I choose to be married to my husband and I am damn proud that I am a daughter of such parents who never thought I was ‘supposed’ to be married. But when girls like Sonam are ‘provoked’ I hope they know what they are doing and not resort to criminal acts. Here she has been lucky her husband did not rush to the nearest police station. Though I am glad she found her solution to the problem, I also feel as a writer she has not been able to tell her whole story properly. I wish she had taken the help of someone to bring out her story to its full potential.

When did she first say her no? How did her husband react for the first time when she said no? DID SHE EVEN SAY NO? These were the questions that came to my mind every time.

As a topic of the day, I can give this story a 5 star. But since I am a reviewer of books, I can only give this 3 stars. But girls who are ready for marriage in India, please read this book. Learn when to say No and definitely Sex is NOT a taboo topic. Speak up, Girls.


Grab a copy of the book here. 
Also Available on  Kindle Unlimited


Comments