Marketing Issue 1: How do I find my audience?


Check out all the articles here
The question:  How do I find my audience?

This is a valid question and often the exact reason why you are scared to even write your story. Especially in the Indie Publishing world. You don't know the right people. You don't know whom to ask for help. You are disillusioned with the false promises you encounter in your journey yet you dream to reach that one audience who would say - hey, I am your fan. 

chanachoor
I can't speak for others, but I can only share my experience. I started as a  book reviewer. I was a reader before I became a writer. My love for books often made my family and relatives angry for I could not be found anywhere in the house but behind the huge water tank, up in our terrace, eating 'chanachoor' and lost in the world of books. My favorite author during those days was Carolyn Keene and Charles Dickens. Two extreme cases, I know but I love diversity from a young age. :D 

During 2013, I used to get my books from NetGalley and review the books on Amazon and Goodreads. I had no clue how to even blog. My brother introduced me to Blogger and I wrote my first review of a Harlequin Book. Now when I read it, I want to hide in shame but I refuse to change it. I grew with every review of mine and gathered my readers as like-minded people joined me on Google Plus. 

I still had not written my book. 

But being an active blogger helped me grow my audience and taking part in Blog-o-thons and events hosted by Indiblogger gave a lot of hits to my blog. 

It was only after this stage that I opened my Facebook and Twitter account in 2014.  Shall I share a secret with you all? I didn't know that Indian authors were rising all over except Arundhati Roy and Vikram Seth. I had no clue that there were Indian Authors who wrote such prolific tales that it leaves you wanting for more. 

I still had not written my book. 

Then for the first time, I heard that Harlequin had opened its door to the Indian audience. I took part in the competition and didn't make the cut. I was so disappointed and lost that I almost gave up my writing. And then I met Sundari Venkatraman. 

Sundari introduced me to Indireads and my two stories got chosen by them. Let me Go and You Stole My Heart.  It was You Stole My Heart that later became Finding the Angel. By then, I had an audience, a group of author friends and was an active participant in Wrimo India. 



So when my Knitted Tales came out, I already had an audience for it. So dear friends, don't underestimate the power of blogging. It's a world in itself.  You don't have to blog only about books. You have to find your own niche. It can be a hobby, a thought, something you are passionate about. I know many friends who are artists. They have used their blogs to reach out to that audience. But everything takes a lot of dedication and love. Nothing is built overnight. I found my niche in reviewing. I hope you find yours too. Let me know if you need help in building your blogs. You know where to reach me :) You don't? I am heartbroken. It's rubinaramesh1973@gmail.com 


Top post on IndiBlogger, the biggest community of Indian Bloggers


Comments

  1. I agree, blogging is a great platform and wonderful place to make friends. It is good to know success stories. All the best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Blogging is a world in itself. Absolutely agree. I created my first 9n 2008 but didn't find this amazing world untill 2014. Now I love blogging for two reasons - writing and the honest friends I made here. �� Thanks for sharing the story if your journey, Rubina. It gives me hope. ��

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad Vinitha. You have shown 7 years of patience. That itself is a story of perseverance and success.

      Delete
  3. I fell in love with your writing when I read You Stole my Heart. I remember crying over Let me Go. Your writing, Rubina, is like a hard slap, making people sit up and take note. And yes, blogging is a great platform to expression oneself. Keep writing!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So I have an idea which I would like to share with you later. And your comment shows that I am thinking right. :D

      Delete
  4. I have not read let me go but have read finding the angel twice and it is my go to book whenever i am in between books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Arti, this is the best thing I have heard in days. I can't tell you, my friend, what this means to me. So what if I can't publish right now.. there is no saying that I can't write. :) <3

      Delete
  5. This little piece about your journey as a writer is honest and beautifully expressed. I completely empathize. All the best, Rubina, for the road ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  6. An amazing article on finding the audience or what I'd like to believe the right audience. I believe my audience should be the millenial and my target to reach out to them. I am reading Miss Malini on how her blog worked and something I recommend to anyone where yours true is unlearning and learning new things. Your post is filled with learning on getting an audience and making the connect with fellow bloggers and readers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We provide the wide range of products that include: Potato Chips, Spicy Sabhudhana Chivda, Sabhuna Sweet Chivda, Makai Chivda, Poha Chivda, Moong Dal, Masoor Namkeen Chivda, Khatta Meetha Chivda, Mix Chivda, Aloo Bhujia, Chakli and many more…

    We always try to make premium quality snacks using high quality ingredients with no compromise in taste when choosing healthy alternatives to our worldwide consumers.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We provide the wide range of products that include: Potato Chips, Spicy Sabhudhana Chivda, Sabhuna Sweet Chivda, Makai Chivda, Poha Chivda, Moong Dal, Masoor Namkeen Chivda, Khatta Meetha Chivda, Mix Chivda,Potato Chips and many more…

    We always try to make premium quality snacks using high quality ingredients with no compromise in taste when choosing healthy alternatives to our worldwide consumers.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment